Saturday, April 22, 2006

My Morning Mantra

I've been listening to this mantra for a while now. It's the first thing I listen to on my way to the football field in the early morning. It's from the Rang De Basanti soundtrack and its called 'Ik Onkar'. Listening to it sets the tone for my day. It has such peaceful, soothing vibes. It's indescribable!

So the other day I googled it for the meaning and found out it's part of the Japuji Sahib (A mantra chanted by Sikhs). It was when I read its meaning that I understood why it gives so much solace.

This is how it reads...

Ik Onkar, Sat Naam, Karta Purakh, Nirbhau, Nirvair, Akal Murat, Ajuni Saibhang, Gurprasad

Translation
There is only one God. His name is Truth. He is the creator. Sans fear. Sans enmity. Eternal. Unborn. Self-effulgent. Realized by His divine grace.

Listening to it keeps me humble and grateful. Pranaam to that unknown Divine power.

3 comments:

Revati Upadhya said...

i went thru a phase where i had to begin and end my day with the RDB soundtrack..beginning with this track. its brilliantly soothing and resounds some amazing vibes! i didnt know what it meant word for word, thanks for googling it! amazing stuff..

Queenmatrai said...

My morning alarm on my mobile phone is "Wahe Guru" which was recorded by a friend of mine at the Golden Temple...

An amazing sound for me to wake up to...

Noojes

Ajeya said...

haathi... glad you liked it :)

noojes... seriously, nothing like the soothing sounds of a mantra or chant to wake up to. it really does set the tone for the day.