Thursday, April 06, 2006

Banal

I've written a lot of posts about life, its meaning, love and other things that meant something to me. This is not one of them. So if you're looking for some philosophical insight or want to read something 'nice', leave now. Here's your chance...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
No really, it's fine if you do. And this IS your last chance.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A persistent one eh? :) Don't say I didn't warn you!

I've been trying for years now. But I simply cannot put food onto my plate from the serving bowl without dropping stuff on the table and dirtying the tablecloth! It is pissing me off no end. When it used to happen years ago as a child, I thought 'Screw this. I'm a kid. I'm expected to do stupid things and be clumsy.' But when I do it now, I'm just thinking 'F$%*ing spastic!'

The nightmare begins at the edge of the serving bowl. I'm assuaging my self-doubt saying 'OK Ajeya, we're going to do it this time'. And before I know it, I'm stuck in the middle. No place to run. Nowhere to hide. Just the serving spoon, me and the spotless tablecloth. It feels like getting off a boat at Apollo Bunder with one leg one the stony steps while the other is still on the boat moving away with both sides too far apart to jump onto. Anyway, the journey to the safe shores of my plate is agonisingly close to its end when 'PLOP', a little drop of the lovely maroon beetroot salad neatly sits at its rightful place at the centre of the newly-laundered white table cloth. ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHH! I swear, if that salad was a person...

You get the drift. I am slowly, after years of data collection, coming to the conclusion that I am a table spastic. To date, in the recent rememberable past, there has been no meal where I have NOT dropped stuff on the table.

How am I dealing with this? An Art of Living course I once attended (Incidentally I was kicked out midway after not being able to attend due to official reasons) spoke of 'accepting people the way they are'. I'm trying to put it into practice with myself. I will always be a table spastic.

*sigh*

2 comments:

ramblingmuse said...

LOL, Ajeya!

Today as I was serving myself Thai food, I thought of your post and guess what happened? I spilled food off the serving soon and I never do that! :-)

Ajeya said...

So sorry RM. The disease is spreading!!! and it's all my fault ;) but thai food is yummmmm. i love the red and green curries! not to mention the to-die-for raw papaya salad :D