Monday, September 04, 2006

A Friend's Loss



One of my closest friends lost his grandmother on Friday morning. It was the irony of ironies. Friday, September 1 2006 was also his birthday. When his mother called from his grandmother's house, he thought it was going to be his grandmother calling to wish him. Instead, he heard his mother sobbing and telling him of his grandmother's passing.

It was only when I texted him asking how his day was going that he told me what had happened. I dropped my work and went to his place. It took me an hour to get there since he lives a little far away from where I am. When I got there, it was a familiar sight. Many people looking out the window, staring into nothingness, the empty look with eyes set on the floor. I helped in whatever way possible. Doing the odd jobs etc. But I was most happy I could be there for him. He was there when my father passed away and was one of the friends who helped carry my dad's body during the last rites. Having people close to you around when the world seems to be slipping from under your feet makes a big difference. They may not fully understand your pain or your loss. But their presence does take away a little pain. I hope and pray for his grandmother, his mother whose has felt her mother's loss the most and the rest of his family.

On life's journey, there are no guarantees. Adi Shankaracharya, one of the great spirtual masters of India, said in his great work, the Bhaja Govindam, 'As water on a lotus leaf is very unstable, life is extremely unsteady.' You never know when the drop will go back to the pond.

5 comments:

Satandit said...

My condolences to your friends family, and lots of strength for you.

Take care

Ajeya said...

Due to a technical snag, Blogger Beta users cannot comment on regular Blogger. Since Alexys uses Blogger Beta, she most thoughtfully mailed me her comment. Here's what Alexys had to say...
Alexys (http://godsleuth.blogspot.com)
"Loss is never easy. It takes the wind out of us and we never recover. We go on, but there is always an emptiness that lays dormant inside of us. Being there for each other is the only thing we can do to assuage the loneliness and salve the heart.

You are a good friend to go to your friend's side in his time of need. Sending love and compassion for you to pass on."

Ajeya said...

satandit... thanks

Alexys... Do we never recover?

ramblingmuse said...

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Ajeya said...

RM... Sometimes the events in our lives make us feel so helpless.