Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Rat Race

While driving to work this morning (and this is around 8am, pretty early around where I live), I noticed how everyone was desperately trying to get ahead of the other. Following the herd, I started driving like that too. Trying to get ahead, edging people out, only to realize that I was losing my peace of mind. I let myself feel threatened by anyone who would try to get in my way and got stressed out about staying ahead. And then I asked myself 'Why?' Why am I getting stressed out about all this? What's the big deal if I get to work 5 minutes later than I would if I drove like an idiot? I had no answers.

It reminded me, metaphorically, of my life in school, in university, and at work. I find myself trying to outdo other people. Trying to make gains at the cost of others when in fact it doesn't have to be that way. I've figured the best way to go about life is to set my own pace and compete with myself. That way less of my energy will go into dissipative channels. I'm a great believer in karma. What goes around, comes around. Nothing can stand in the way of a person who does an honest day's work. As Gandhi said, "He who acts, thinks and feels with God as his only witness has nothing to fear."

I want to be like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »