Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Prophet

I don't remember if I've mentioned this earlier, but Gibran's work, The Prophet, is one of my favourite books ever.

When I read the book for the first time, it was for solace. But when I read it the second time, it was with a more open mind. To learn, to understand.

Here's a brilliant excerpt from the book:
Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.


I don't think I've read anything more moving. And true.

2 comments:

Alexys Fairfield said...

Ajeya,
I LOVE, The Prophet. It has always been one of my faves too. It is timeless. Every time I read it, it is like the first time, but my Soul has known it for eons. :D

Ajeya said...

:) Definitely timeless!