Friday, July 11, 2008

A Life is Lived in an Instant

Just came across this super article about how life must be lived for the now. I often balk at these modern ideas of retiring at 40 and early retirement to move to this fancy house on the beach you've built for yourself.

40 is too late. What if I don't make it to 40? I don't mean to be fatalistic but it's a possibility. It's a lot of thoughts like this that have changed the way I live my life. I live for the "now". Earlier, I would spend hours and hours thinking about whether I should say something to someone, labour over how the other person would react, what the other person would think of me if I said what I wanted to and all kinds of other useless thoughts. Today I ask myself one question, 'If I were to die the next moment, would I say/do what I wanted to?'. The answer isn't always yes. But it makes my life a lot simpler. No doubt, there are times when I look back and think how stupid it was to say or do what I did, but people make mistakes. I try and learn from them. No regrets.

I'll shut up now. Go read.

6 comments:

Mee said...

We are a developing nation - its our time to be restless, curios, and galloping ahead

While I have no doubt that given time, quality will be produced --I am simply questioning the timing of the slow down for our country.

As far as us indivduals go we once again need to figure if we want to slow down at 25 or 55 ( and am not sure its a function of age or wisdom)- there is just so much to be seen n done in one lifetime , when will we do it all if we go slow and easy?:)
On the other hand its the savouring of all that we do that makes living so worthwhile - its a bit of a dilemna for mee:)

Revati Upadhya said...

sigh.. if only it was as easy done as it is said..

at an individual level, i think it also has a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time. yep i believe in destiny more than i do in hardwork :)

Ajeya said...

mee... for me, there's no dilemma, i want to savour what's here, right now. :) like i've heard and read often before, the journey is the the destination.

haathi... yeah, it isn't easy. but it's possible! :)

Mee said...

Ajeya, true true Yeah true:)

Am a very impulsive quick decisions person- being the twin sign doesn't help

I agree with what you say - I do too savour life.( those moody rainy, cool winter days) and be chilled, and yet when sometimes I am in the throes of action its a fast churn with no sign of slowing, and I like both those sides of life:) so guess what I am saying is both are essential for me as of now, maybe as one gets on with the years I wil possibly lean more towards the savour and less towards action:)

Makes sense?

Ajeya said...

mee... yes, clearer :) i'm not sure that savouring or enjoying the moment necessarily means slowing down on the outside (actions). i'm of the opinion that it's the calming of the mind that allows us to savour the moment.

Mee said...

yes absolutely, and thats the tuff part:-), but working to get thr:-)